DESTINATION DESCRIPTION KORNATI ISLANDS
Kornati archipelago extends parallel to the mainland in northern Dalmatia between Zadar and Šibenik and with its 152 islands makes the densest archipelago in the Mediterranean. The largest island of the archipelago Kornat and numerous smaller islands around it were, because of the beauty of the landscape, indented coastline and rich underwater world, pronounced a national park. Tamer islands of this archipelago, Žut and Sit, with nearby islands, are excluded from this protection, although they belong to the same group of islands, and are especially interesting for those who like to fishing. Kornati islands are rocky islands of wild nature covered with grass, Mediterranean aromatic herbs and an occasional bush or tree. On the islands there are no permanent settlements, only small groups of a few houses scattered around the well protected bays. These bays with their green olive and fig trees stand on the rocky island like an oasis in the desert. Houses in these quiet bays have become a favorite destination for fans of nature and solitude. This kind of accommodation, often popularly called "Robinson accommodation" in honor of the famous Robinson Crusoe, offers a relaxed vacation in the cottage by the sea where you can take a rest from everyday life and devote yourself to you and your family. Most people on Kornati islands will enjoy swimming, sunbathing, barbecuing, reading books and long nights under the sky laden by stars, whose glow is seen only in places where there is no artificial light. For those who wish to research and have an adventure we recommend to try fishing or diving, rent a small boat in order to explore the islands and bays closeby, or go on climbing to the tops of the islands with attractive sightseeing spots. Fishermen houses on Kornati islands are accessible only by boat in the organization of the agency. Transfers are usually done by home owners, which allows them to explain how everything works in the house. Starting point is Murter on the island Murter, because Murter inhabitants are the owners of most of the islands in Kornati archipelago, and the trip to the islands, depending on the location lasts fom 1 to 3 hours. Complete supply must be done before departure because there are stores in just a few bays, usually difficult to access and more expensive than the shops on the island Murter.
To help you select the ideal island on which you would like to spend the holidays check out our "location guide" and familiarize yourself with the advantages of some islands.
Kornati islands are a popular destination for yachtsmen who enjoy sailing around these islands and gladly visit several good fish restaurants. A safe harbour is provided on numerous anchorages around the archipelago and marinas on islands Žut and Piškera.
- Renting a boat and exploring the islands and bays close to the house you rented
- Diving into the underwater world of Kornati islands because it has a wealth of underwater world as one of the main advantages of this national park
- Visiting the great cliffs that stretch outside Kornati islands to the open sea, the greatest attraction of the National park Kornati
- Swimming beneath spectacular cliffs of Kornati. Memorable experience for the bravest
- Visiting the largest fishing village Kornati, the bay Vruje on the island Kornat
- Visiting Tarac bay on the island Kornat where is situated a fort Tureta from 6th century and Church of our Lady of Tarac
- Climbing the island trails that lead to some of the sightseeing spots, of which is the most attractive Metlina on Kornat island, the highest point of Kornati
- Swimming at the most beautiful beach of Kornati - sandy bay Lojena on the island Levrnaka
- Visitig the remains of a Venetian castle on the island Panitula, which is alsoa fantastic sightseeing point
- Eating fresh fish in one of the excellent fish restaurants - Opat, Piccolo, Žakan, Ante, Darko, Levrnaka, Šporka Mare, Fešta, Bain...